BSBWOR502 Lead and manage team effectiveness
QUICK TIP: STEPS YOU CAN TAKE TO RESOLVE WORKPLACE CONFLICT
· Create physical space.
· Establish emotional boundaries (standards of behaviour).
· Invite critical feedback.
· Consider your response to rights vs. needs vs. wants.
· Develop respectful responses to disrespectful behaviour.
· Do not shoulder the blame for criticisms that are not yours to own.
· Listen with respect and respond with care.
· Stick to issues and behaviours.
· Choose and use a level of assertion; especially try empathetic.
· Initiate contact with, “Specifically, how can I be helpful to you?
· Maintain your focus on, “We can work this out.”
· Expect respect. (“We can work this out when you stop yelling.”)
· Say what you mean in specific terms (we can’t read minds).
· Use fair humour (quips, toys, stickers, etc.).
· Keep congruent – words, tone actions.
· Avoid debate.
· Use sure signals for confidence. (Head up, face forward, eye contact, shoulders back, steady stance, posture straight, no leaning)
· Count to 10. Use silence to increase your calm. It’s valuable to “leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.”
· Speak from the “same side of the table.”
· Give people a way out. Establish choices.
· Refuse the win-lose perspective.
· Breathe. Fully breathe for calm and for conveying steadiness and confidence